Saturday, September 21, 2013

Day 3 - Better than Day 1

Well, I made it through my workout Thursday night, but not without a major meltdown.  I feel bad for my trainer (who I will refer to as D for now).  I think he might be afraid of me after Thursday night.  It was so bad he actually called me the next day to see if I was OK and to make some nutrition suggestions.  In the course of that meltdown we discovered that (1) I have major post-trip depression and (2) I need to find a new motivation for why I am doing this because I lack one right now.  I have accomplished my first couple of goals, and the only ones I have left currently seem unattainable and impossible to see actually happening, so they aren't providing motivation for me.  I also think that instead of a Pepsi, maybe I need a therapist.  I eventually made it through my work out and left the gym feeling somewhat better.  I ate dinner and went to bed before I could get hungry again.

Friday was a challenge -  I knew I was going to have to eat in restaurants for two meals in one day.  Very dangerous move in my fragile condition, but unavoidable.  I needed a plan.  Right after breakfast (while I wasn't hungry) I checked out the menus of each restaurant and planned what I was going to order in advance.  We ate lunch at La Lot, a Vietnamese restaurant.  I had salmon spring rolls with herbed fish sauce, which was absolutely delicious and surprisingly filling.  (PS - that is NOT my Vietnamese Iced Tea in the background.)



I was starving by the time we got home to get ready for dinner.  Angry hungry + free bread basket = nutrition disaster, so I ate an apple and some peanut butter before we left for the restaurant.  We went to Ivar's, where I managed to stick with my predetermined choice and order the seafood cocktail appetizer and a side salad as my dinner.  I was too hungry to take a picture of that before I ate it - sorry.  It was really delicious and filling.  I was grouchy when everyone else was drinking beer and eating cheesecake, but I survived.  Again, I was hungry when we got home, so I just went to bed.  Plus it was 11 pm - waaaay past my lame bedtime.

Saturday morning I woke up feeling totally shithouse.  Hungry, grouchy, depressed, having sugar withdrawals.  My wonderful husband made me eggs for breakfast and put up with my complaining.  He is a saint.  We had a discussion about my motivation problems, then I went to the gym.  D looked he didn't even want to ask how I was doing, but did anyway.  I had decided by that time that I needed to have a good work out so I said I was doing better (which was somewhat true).  I knew if I started talking about it again I was going to cry.  We talked briefly about my frustrations with MFP, and how an apple contains over half the amount of sugar it says I can have in an entire day.  He said I can eat as many apples a day as I want to and sadly, that cheered me up a lot.  I then had an AWESOME workout - the 45 minutes flew by!  We talked about some backpacking trips in the area, and D mentioned the Enchantments.  I have heard of them often, but never seen them.  He did a Google image search and when I saw the first picture I knew that was it.  Just like that we found my motivation!  


I'm still starving and really want a Pepsi, but I just picture the view of the Enchantments that D showed me and I choke down some vegetables and turkey and feel like it is worth it, at least for now.  So I feel a little better.  Plus, I saw a really funny website with dogs wearing pictures of signs of shame that totally made me laugh like I haven't for awhile and cheered me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment