Monday, November 28, 2011

Yoga - maybe it IS just for skinny chicks in spandex after all . . .

That is pretty much all the class was filled with.  I really did think there would be other normal people there, but no such luck.  The husband and I were the only two there who had never been to yoga before.  The class was packed to the brim with taut muscles and tight tank tops.  The floor was wall to wall mats and hippies.  Before class, everyone was curled up on their mats doing I'm not sure what.  I just kind of stood around awkwardly, then eventually sat down with my legs crossed and tried to be quiet and not look out of place.  When class started, I couldn't really see the instructor.  I was surrounded by people doing handstands and what appeared to be break-dancing moves of some sort.  Every once in a while I got a glimpse at the instructor and figured out what I was supposed to be doing.  If all else failed, I just did downward dog, because it seemed like eventually everyone else would end up there too.

Once class started, I didn't feel nearly as self-conscious as I thought I would.  I was concentrating so hard on not falling over that I didn't have time to worry about what anybody else was doing or if they were looking at me.  It was very challenging.

The good things about yoga so far:  (1) it is one heck of a work out.  After an hour and fifteen minutes of yoga, I am sore in places I forgot I had.  And it's not like I'm a total wuss - until three weeks ago I was working out with a trainer three times a week; and (2) it definitely gets your mind off of things - it takes so much concentration that there isn't room in your brain to think about anything else.

The bad things about yoga so far:  (1)  it is one heck of a work out (haha); and (2) there are a lot of people at yoga class, and I'm typically a loner, especially while working out.

I thought for a long time after I got home about whether I liked it or not.  I'm still not sure.  But I'll definitely go back and give it at least a few more tries.  I don't think I am ever going to be a "yoga person," or find my "zen" at yoga, but it is a fantastic work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment